Location: Lakeland, Florida
Nemours is seeking a Diabetes Educator, FULL-TIME, to join our Specialty Care team in Lakeland, Florida.
Provides diabetes education to the appropriate to pediatric population, families, school personnel, and groups.
The position is responsible for the following:
- Provides timely, effective and appropriate diabetes education to the following populations:
- All newly diagnosed children with diabetes (any type) and their families hospitalized at Lakeland Regional Hospital (exception - patients admitted and discharged on off-weekends).
- All newly diagnosed children/families managed as outpatients at the Nemours Clinic.
- Children/families being readmitted for diabetes-related problems (if learning needs assessment indicates re-education is needed).
- Newly diagnosed children being seen for 1 week and 1 month follow-up at the Clinic.
- All clients with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes who have not had at least 1 hour of annual diabetes follow-up education. (Can be delivered in a group setting).
- School personnel responsible for specific children cared for by the Division (as requested by both parents and school officials). Serves as liaison to school systems.
- Cooperates with the dietitian for the Nemours Children's Hospital, or Lakeland Regional Hospital or dietitian assigned to Nemours Children's Clinic-Endocrinology to be sure educational needs are met in a timely manner.
- Provides insulin pump training to inpatient and outpatient clients as requested.
- Complies with the applicable standards for diabetes education set forth by Nemours Children's Hospital and clinics, the State of Florida and the American Diabetes Association.
- Documents all educational assessment, intervention and outcomes accordingly.
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory and working knowledge of diabetes self-care materials for patient distribution. Develops age-appropriate diabetes educational materials and class outlines as needed.
- Participates in data retrieval and analysis for both ADA Education and Provider Recognition.
- Refers patients and clients to appropriate support services, support groups.
- Provides diabetes case management as requested by Nemours providers. Seeks assistance from providers with insulin dose adjustment and sick day management.
- Provides other telephone follow-up in a manner to be determined to meet ADA requirements.
- Fulfills continuing education requirements required by ADA Program Recognition Guidelines.
- Complies with HIPAA Regulations.
- Complies with OSHA/Safety Regulations.
- Adheres to NCC-O Customer Service Standards of Performance.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Associate (2 years of training beyond high school; e.g. Associate's degree) required.
- BSN preferred.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience required.
- Minimum one (1) year of pediatric diabetes related experience.
- Current State of Florida RN License required.
- Valid American Heart Association BLS Certification.
- Certified Diabetic Educator preferred. Must be obtained within six (6) months of eligibility.
- Certified Insulin Pump Trainer preferred. Must be obtained within six (6) months of eligibility.
- Must maintain continuing education as required for licensure.