Galen Medical Group offers a competitive total compensation package.
Internal Number: 24967
PURPOSE: The certified diabetes educator delivers comprehensive and seamless services that bridge the gap and integrate clinical and self-management aspects of diabetes care. The CDE is an integral part of the interprofessional team and provides collaborative, comprehensive and patient-centered care, and education conducive to behavior change and improved quality of life across the lifespan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide diabetes and self-management guidance and education to pre-diabetics, type 1, and type 2 patients. Develop individualized diabetes education plans for patients in collaboration with medical provider, and monitor adherence to plan. Individualized education plans shall take into account different cultural, physical, cognitive, and literacy levels of patients and families and meet evolving needs of patient.
2. Plan, develop, and implement individual and group diabetes education strategies for patients through their life span and their families and caregivers.
3. Provide nutritional counseling for weight control and diabetes management (if a registered dietician). Use comprehensive knowledge of nutrition to assist patients with meal planning. Teach patients to manage blood glucose with carbohydrate counting and to manage weight with calorie counting. Monitor patient diet diaries.
4. In collaboration with patient and health coaches, develop a physical activity plan that accommodates patients’ needs, abilities, and self-management goals, and monitor progress.
5. Assist medical provider in assessing need for, and frequency, of self-glucose monitoring and teach patients self-glucose monitoring. Monitor adherence to plan. Assist medical provider in evaluating blood glucose logs in conjunction with diet diaries at provider visits.
6. Instruct patients and family members on medication safety including preventing, recognizing, and treating hypoglycemia. Teach how to administer insulin. Assist medical provider in adjusting oral medication and insulin doses according to blood glucose measurements, dietary habits, and individual barriers to care.
7. Work with patient and the care team to ensure patient has access to medications and does not run out of insulin or other medications and to ensure patient keeps appointments with medical provider and CDE for diabetes monitoring.
8. Identify individual social and emotional barriers (such as depression) to compliance with treatment plan, and refer patient to appropriate team member, such as case manager and/or integrated behavioral health counselor.
9. Assist provider in monitoring patient’s diabetes care flow sheet, ensuring patient gets timely recommended preventive and monitoring tests, treatments, and referrals per diabetes care guidelines.
10. Facilitate coordination of care across specialty care, facility-based care, and community organizations.
11. Assist in the review and/or the development of clinical practice guidelines. Serves as content expert for diabetes education and management.
12. Assist in the development of policies and procedures for diabetes and health education guidelines.
13. Insulin pump and CGM education and training. Insulin dose management.
14. Support Galen Medical Group and Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology as needed.
1. Bachelor of Science in Nursing and/or Dietetics from an accredited facility.
2. Licensed in the State of Tennessee as a RN or RD.
3. Certification by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (CDE).
1. Education and/or experience in program management.
2. Education and/or experience with chronic diseases and disease self-management.
3. Three years of experience caring for individuals with diabetes is preferred.
1. Professional knowledge and skill as a diabetes and health educator.
2. Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
3. In-depth knowledge and understanding of the nature of diabetes and related issues and patient care concerns.
4. Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate educational programs and materials.
5. Ability to provide technical advice, guidance, and support to professional staff in area of specialty.
6. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
7. Ability to establish rapport and gain the confidence of the physicians, nurses, members of the primary care team, clients, and associates.
8. Ability to work independently and take initiative in addressing concerns and issues.
9. Proficient with computer-based applications such as MS Office, Adobe, registries/medical databases, and electronic health record.
Galen Medical Group is a physician-led, multi-specialty medical group that provides outstanding health care in the greater Chattanooga area. Our patients and staff along with the community we serve is at the center of everything we do. We help coordinate and manage health care through patient engagement utilizing all resources available. We believe in providing leadership for patient-centered, innovative patient care in compassionate ways to advance the health of our patients and community and have a proven track record across a spectrum of programs. Galen Medical Group was established in 1992 and employs over 600 team members including 64 physicians and 36 Advanced Practice Providers across 28 locations with 13 specialties. Galen Medical Group offers a competitive total compensation package.