VA New Jersey Health Care System (VANJHCS) is recruiting for a physician with demonstrated leadership ability toserve as the Chief of Staff (COS). The VANJHCS serves a veteran population of approximately 500,000 individuals; treating approximately 57,000+ unique veterans annually resulting in nearly 744,300 outpatient visits and 5,400 inpatient discharges. The VANJHCS includes the following:
- The East Orange Medical Center, a tertiary care facility with a full complement of medical, surgical and mental health programs including an extensive research and educational component;
- The Lyons Medical Center, a long-term care and mental health facility that includes a 251-bed Nursing Home Care Unit, a 168-bed Domiciliary, a 192 bed Transitional Home and an extensive homeless program.
- Ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC's).
- Active academic affiliations with the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ and the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick, NJ.
The VANJHCS provides specialized medical services such as: Agent Orange, Allergy/Immunology, Audiology and Speech Pathology, Cancer Screening, Cardiac Catheterization Lab, CAT Scan, Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation Program (CIIRP), Day Treatment, Diabetes Education, Healthy Aging and Recovery Care Program (HARP), Hemodialysis Program, Home Based Primary Care, Homeless/Domiciliary Program, Infectious Diseases Unit, Linear Accelerator, Low Vision Center, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Methadone Maintenance, Nuclear Medicine Unit, Nursing Home Care, Pain Management Program, Persian Gulf Family Support Program, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Unit, Primary Care Program. Prosthetics Pulmonary Function Lab, Radiation Therapy, Rehabilitation Programs, Renal Program, Same Day Surgery, Sexual Dysfunction Unit, Sleep Studies Laboratory, Spinal Cord Injury Unit, Substance Abuse Treatment Unit (SATU), Swallowing Program, War-Related Illnesses and Injuries Study Center, and Women's Health Services.
The Chief of Staff is a member of the VANJHCS senior leadership team, which functions as the decision-making body for the overall health system administration. The COS will demonstrate the principals of servant leadership and is transparent, cooperative, and collaborative. The COS collaborates with executive leadership in the formulation, supervision, and integration of clinical activities inherent in the professional services and research of the VANJHCS. The COS is responsible for the efficient operation of the health care system's clinical functions as well as the administrative coordination of its clinical activities and operations to ensure timely and high quality to service to our Veterans. Currently, the VANJHCShas a large number of significant projects in planning stages or underway. These projects require extensive administrative coordination, oversight, and advisement. High level analytical skills are needed to balance quality, access, satisfaction, and fiscal efficiency,
As the COS, the incumbent develops and presents the budgetary requirements of the clinical services and assists in the formulation of the annual budget program. The COS must monitor and be accountable for expenditures and the allocation of funds based on fiscal management principles and must be acutely aware of the cost of medical equipment and supplies.The incumbent is fully responsible to the Medical Center Director for programs of patient care and for the educational and research activities of the clinical services. With the Director, the COS reviews organizational proposalsto ensure that theuse of manpower is efficient and economical and achieves the goals of the health care system.
To carry out theCOS responsibilities, the incumbent must be able to formulate and recommend plans for a comprehensive program of medical care; develop the requirements of staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies needed to carry forward an integrated program utilizing necessary reviews and controls, and appraises the effectiveness of the various medical programs in meeting the needs of patient care. The COS fully participates in executive leadership discussions, decisions, and policy-making, and shares in the responsibility for the development and implementation of long and short-range policies and plans. The incumbent directs strategic planning and resource allocation for the overall VANJHCS, as well as focusing on the facility's day-to-day operations. As an executive manager of the healthcare system, the incumbent must be proficient in all aspects of health care business.
This position is located at the East Orange Campus but requires occasional travel to the Lyons Campus.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. Work schedule may vary depending on the needs of the VA New Jersey Health Care System.Basic Requirements:
- Citizenship. Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Education. Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine orosteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Licensure and Registration. Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Residency Training. Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- English Language Proficiency. Physicians appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Preferred Experience.The Chief of Staff develops and maintains currently accepted management practices throughout the clinical services. The COSdevelops and presentsbudgetary requirements of the clinical services and assists in the formulation of the annual budget program.The Chief ofStaff is fully responsible to the Medical Center Director for programs of patient care and for the educational and research activities of the clinical services. To carry out these responsibilities, the candidate demonstrates the ability to:
- (a) Formulate and recommend plans for a comprehensive program of medical care,
- (b) Develop the requirements of staff, facilities, equipment and supplies needed to carry forward such an integrated program, utilizing necessary reviews and controls, and
- (c) Appraises the effectiveness of the various medical programs in meeting the needs of patient care.
Must demonstrate the principals of servant leadership and be transparent, cooperative and collaborative.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: Physical Standards/Requirements: See VA Handbook 5005, Part III, Chapter 2, paragraph 7, and VA Handbook 5019, Occupational Health Services. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Associated Health Occupations (required for non-VANJHC employees). Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants:
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1871148.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
VA New Jersey Health Care System Employees Only:
If you cannot submit your application using one of the options listed above, you may personally submit by hand your application package to:
VA New Jersey Health Care System
Human Resources (05LY)
151 Knollcroft Road, Building 1, 3rd Floor
Lyons, NJ 07939
Phone: 908-647-0180 ext. 5040